Sunday, November 18, 2007

So, How's it goin'...

I know I haven't written a lot lately but I've been super busy. But fortunetly, Thanksgiving break is coming up so I'll be able to catch up on work then.

I have been observing at a school. The teacher I observe teachs agriculture and biology. I've learned a lot from her like you should let your students know who is in charge but also respect them and be friendly. Her students know that if they get caught throwing things in class they have to sweep and mop the entire classroom floor. I think its helpful to have a set "punishment" (for a lack of a better word) for certain things. Also, she has "the look" down. She only has to give a student a certain look and they know she means business. She has told us that when working with the younger students you should use lots of pictures, questions, and rewards (verbal or food oriented if they are working with it but mostly verbal) to help keep their attention. Unfortunetly, we are learning good tips for teaching junior high students but not high school students which is who we will be working with in the future.

I will be presenting my first lesson on the Thursday after Thanksgiving break. I think I'm going to do Dairy Judging My only problem is I'll be presenting to the animal science class first (high schoolers I've never met and don't know why I'm there) and then to an 8th grade biology class who has nothing to do with animal science. I'm kind of worried about it.

On a happier note, I've just taken an Agricultural Systems Manangment test over engines and hydraulics last week. I think I did pretty well. Here's to hoping.

Not much has happened lately though. School, School, and more School. I did however put up my christmas tree. Its pretty small but it makes me smile whenever I see it. I figure its a good way to bring the holidays in to home. Christmas is going to be a bit different this year. We'll be opening presents on christmas eve because mom is leaving on Christmas day for Alaska. I'll be able to spend part of Christmas day with Jon's family though so that makes it a little less sad.

To day Jon and I went to his Grandparents house in Indy for Christmas. I had a wonderful full time. They were all so nice. Jon's grandma was very interested in Dad being up in Alaska teaching. Both of the grandparents were teachers. They also seemed happy to hear I was going to be an Ag teacher. Jon's mom, asked how dad was doing after being sick, that's how we got on the subject. Jon's grandma was also happy to here I would be eventually visiting Alaska, which I'm excited about too.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Your dad is also happy to HEAR that you intend to visit/live in Alaska. Yes, I said live in Alaska. Once you smell the air you'll be hooked. When you see the landscapes, you'll be convinced. When you feel the pride that comes with calling yourself an Alaskan, you'll know there is no going back to hoosier land. Jon can come too, if he's good.